Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Turkey Day

Tomorrow (Today? Haven't slept yet!) is Thanksgiving. The day that most of us use as an excuse to eat whatever the heck we feel like eating. Now the old me, that would be about 4 servings of mashed potatoes, 5 or 6 rolls, 2-3 servings of ham, mac and cheese, a HUGE hunk of dressing (southern style, of course), and probably half a cheese cake. At least. I'm sure i would also down a whole 2 liter of soda on my own too, because that was how the fat me rolled. Rolled...ha!

Now i'm not saying that you should pass on the goodies and only eat salad while everyone else around you is actually happy, but following my previous example, yeah that will just get you into a pair of fat jeans faster than you can say "pass the cheesecake".

My last couple of Thanksgivings have been incredibly different. I still eat the ham (one slice) and the potatoes (one serving), but i pass on the mac and cheese and cheesecake. My biggest issue is still probably the soda and the rolls, but even those have drastically changed. I attempt to fill up on water before dinner, and have only one glass of soda, if any, and remind myself that those amazing, buttery, flaky goodies will get me back into my size 24 clothing, and all of my hard work will have gone down the drain.  This year i'm going to take it up a notch. I plan to workout this Turkey Day, something i have never done before, and i also vow to try the healthier options on the table. I may not like what i taste but i will be more adventurous in the hopes that i will find something more nutritious to replace those items i'm trying to stay away from. Tomorrow will be dinner with family, i can't control what is there so the plan is to just eat as cautiously as possible. Friday will be my own personal dinner, my menu is this...

Ham and Turkey
Baked potatoes (light butter and sea salt. Baked potatoes are easier to portion so that you won't overeat)
Roasted Asparagus (olive oil, sea salt, and minced garlic)
Sweet Corn ("I can't believe it's not butter", and sea salt)
Fresh Garden Salad (sea salt, pepper, light ranch)
Whole Grain Mushroom Stuffing

I had planned to make oatmeal cookies for dessert (since i'm still nursing, they provide multiple benefits) but i'm not even sure i will do that now. I think i will just have a small bowl of low carb ice cream, it's not fancy but it will satisfy. It kills me to not bake up a storm, but baking equals eating so i might as well just skip it and avoid the temptation.

So this is my plan, who's with me on making it a healthy day? I refuse to let the holidays stress me out about my weight. To me, it's just another day, not a reason to slack off.

No comments:

Post a Comment